My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, TX, United States

Scholar, Writer, Mother, Dreamer. Editor of Luminarium, an online library for English Literature of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Happy Happy Productive Day

Laptop BeachSaved by the sun. Finished many projects today, revitalized by the end of Noah's Second Flood.

The Milton bio is finished, and for the past 5 days I've been working on a site for the Restoration playwright, Aphra Behn, including a biography, quotes, poems, prose, plays, and web resources and essays for the same — the whole nine yards.  It's been quite invigorating, actually.

Laptop BeachI had only read "Oroonoko" previously, and building the site I naturally got a full course on Mrs. Behn. While she may be remembered for her prose and dramas, I really got a kick out of her poetry. Methinks she has been way overlooked as a poet. For example, her "Disappointment" works in great comparison with Rochester's "Imperfect Enjoyment", and her poem on the death of Rochester moved me greatly and is indeed a fabulous poem.

I tend to agree with Virginia Woolf that modern woman writers owe a great debt to Behn for her paving the path and plowing on despite vicious criticism and ridicule. This woman owned her own sexuality, her freedom of speech, and her right to practise her craft and earn a living when such things weren't deemed womanly — 300 years before women were publicly burning their bras.

Next in line for me is to post the scan of the beautiful Milton engraving Mark has in his collection on the Milton site, and to tackle the site for the aforementioned John Wilmot, 2nd Earl of Rochester. I read Graham Greene's biography "Lord Rochester's Monkey" over 6 months ago, but haven't set to it. I think it's been trepidation. I am so fond of Rochester, and don't want to do him a disservice. But perhaps it is more of a disservice to keep him waiting...

I wonder if I'm boring y'all with my blabbing about Early Modern literature. I s'pose most people don't get a kick out of RenLit the way I do, heheh. Well folks, feel free to skim and skip any rants on RenLit if teacupit isn't your cup of tea — I'm mostly just blabbing to keep myself warm.

Although... It hit 85 today, and I had my laptop outside, and grilled my bacon in the sunlight. If this stupid vampire flick ever gets made, they are soooooo going to have to use copious amount of body makeup to make me appropriately ghoulish.

Borg QueenI'm thinking hair extensions down to my waist, raven hair. I'm also toying with the idea of a no-eyebrow look (achieved with makeup, not permanent), for appropriate non-human creepiness. The shaved high forehead thing they did in the Middle Ages would also be excellent, but what if it won't grow back! Sort of a look à la Alice Krige as the Borg Queen, 'cept with hair, attitude like "evil Galadriel".  Any thoughts?

~A

Tags: Literature | Vampires

7 Comments:

Blogger Mophia said...

don't forget, all the vampires i've seen had mustaches! ~.^

June 29, 2006 12:16 PM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Ha ha :P

If I put on a mustache, I'd be a spitting image of my dad.

June 29, 2006 3:25 PM  
Blogger Mophia said...

your dad has elvaan tendencies as well then I take it? ~.^

June 29, 2006 4:47 PM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Heh, not if you ask him - although the one Halloween my dad was here, he ended being Dracula, so maybe the vampire thing is in the family :P

June 29, 2006 11:58 PM  
Blogger Katja said...

But vampire's ALWAYS have raven hair. Why dont't you try something different. What about flaming red hair ???

June 30, 2006 1:59 AM  
Blogger Mophia said...

how bout blue? :D

June 30, 2006 4:10 PM  
Blogger Anniina said...

I was thinking red, sort of a Dark Phoenix look... did dig Femke Janssen's hair in X3... might go red tomorrow, we'll see. Mophster, I have wanted to go blue for years, ask anyone. Just don't know if a) the directors would like it, b) I can pull it off. Hmm... food for thought.

July 01, 2006 3:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home