My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, TX, United States

Scholar, Writer, Mother, Dreamer. Editor of Luminarium, an online library for English Literature of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

Monday, January 29, 2007

Secrets of A-List Bloggers

Well, it seems "Yours, Truly" is far from an A-list blogger. I was looking around the web at things that make an A-List Blogger, and I didn't even understand half of the elements :P Tee-hee.

Apparently, A-List Bloggers write, on average, 30 entries a day! Okay now that's just mad crazy. You, my fluffy bunnies who visit, would all keel over and pass out, if I started jabbering on like that. I feel self-conscious on days when I do 3 entries; even when a few of them are, say, cartoons or YouTube clips.

Another thing A-List Bloggers do is that they enable people to subscribe to their blogs' RSS and Atom feeds. Yeah, you heard me. What that means is that someone can subscribe to your blog and have new blog entries delivered to, for example, their "MyYahoo" page, or their Google Reader page. Wowee! Never knew that. Well, after a few HOURS of puttering around, via trial and error, I figured out how to do that. You can now subscribe to this A-List wannabe blog on the top of the side bar, or at the very berry bottom of the selfsame A-List wannabe blog.

Now, I'm sure there's a million other things that go into this whole "A-Listing", including great content (HA! yeah OK, will work on that) but my brain started making spluttering noises, dark smoke started curling in wisps out of my (very pretty) ears, and before alien brain matter started oozing out as well, I decided to give it a rest for today, and just chill.

I sorta started writing my novel again, but so far I think it maybe crap, so I'm not gonna share yet.

Adoring of you,
Anniina
 

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Mark A. said...

RSS feeds are neat. I think I've got mine set with feedburner.

They're full of shit when they say you should have 30 posts a day. I actually read that more than two or three posts a day was likely to turn some readers off, because they never feel like they can catch up. Hell, BoingBoing doesn't even post 30 a day, and they have a team of writers.

You can also set up a delicious dump for slow days. If you have an email service for your readers set up the dump will trigger it. It also counts as new material so Google's crawl will index your site as having been updated. It's a good way to trick apps into thinking you have new content. I'm a big believer in getting stuff to work for you.

January 30, 2007 1:24 AM  
Blogger Mark A. said...

Oh, btw, are you using Google Docs to write and pubish your posts. I just noticed that Docs is now tied into Blogger, which is really neat. It will tie right into hosted sites too, as long as you enter your xmlrpc.php address. I set mine up a few hours ago, and it's pretty neat. Docs is a fully functional word processor and everything.

January 30, 2007 1:26 AM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Wow, okay, now I have no idea what either post meant. What is a "Delicious dump"? What does "email service setup" mean? And What are Google Docs, and what is an xmlrpc.php.

EEEK, I think the alien brain matter ooze just began!

January 30, 2007 2:13 AM  
Blogger SzélsőFa said...

The main point of this entry (for me, at least) was in the last paragraph. Go and do it! I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

January 30, 2007 4:51 AM  
Blogger Mophia said...

novel... yes... i'm intrigued.

of course... i really need to get moving with my bit of fan fiction for jumpgate nad finish it, then start working on some material that is 100% my own...

maybe when i'm 90.

January 30, 2007 5:05 PM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Oh Mophster, you're a baby still, you have DECADES to write a book (^-^) but never too early to start!

January 30, 2007 5:53 PM  
Blogger Mark A. said...

Sorry. I'm a nerd.

Delicious: Social networking site. You set up an account, add two buttons to your Firefox browser, and if you see a cool page you click "tag." A box comes up and you can write a description. Then, you go into your account on Delicious and setup "Daily Blog Posting," and everyday at your desired time Delicious will "dump" your links and link description automatically.

Email Service: Add a box on the sidebar that lets readers sign up to be notified by mail when you post something new. The email will look like an RSS feed.

Google Docs is Google's online word processor. Suprisingly powerful, with the added bonus that all your stuff is saved online, and it will automatically post your blog posts for you. Once you sign up with Gmail, google's amazing and all-powerful email client, you can use any of the Google programs at Google Labs. And most of them are pretty awesome.

XMLRPC.PHP is a remote procedure protocol that allows external pages to manipulate your blog. Blogger used to let you access theirs but I don't know if they still do or not.

And no, I don't have a life.

January 31, 2007 10:05 AM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Wow. Awesome answers Mark. Thank you very very much. I promise, one of these years I'll come into this century. I'll learn them one at a time, to keep brain from fizzing.

January 31, 2007 11:15 AM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Wow, I just became Delicious :P!

http://del.icio.us/

That's so COOL - I get to see how many other people have the same bookmarks. And I get to look at their bookmarks, 'cause they may have similar interests. Thanks M!!!

January 31, 2007 11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home