My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, TX, United States

Scholar, Writer, Mother, Dreamer. Editor of Luminarium, an online library for English Literature of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Oscar Watch Continues: Half Nelson

The indie film Half Nelson is nominated for one Oscar, Best Actor in a Leading Role, for actor Ryan Gosling.

The story of a crack-addicted middle school teacher and coach, who strikes up an unlikely friendship with a 13-yr old girl student, the movie is shot very much like a documentary, on handheld. Nothing glossy or stagey here, which is nice. Gosling does a good job, but I don't think it's an Oscar performance. Here we have the classic "play-a-drug addict-get-an-Oscar-nod" and "play-a-teacher-get-an-Oscar-nod" double whammy happening. If anyone deserved a nod for this pic, it was young Shareeka Epps, who played the part of the student with surprising maturity and humor.

The movie is not at all my cup of tea, and I don't really feel like recommending it. On the other hand, since this type of "indie-ennui" fare isn't my thing, perhaps my assessment isn't fair. But here it is. From me, this film gets a C+.
 

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger SzélsőFa said...

As usually, I watched the trailer. I usually like teacher-students films, although they are easy to spoil, but when they are good, they are really good.

February 26, 2007 3:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home