My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, TX, United States

Scholar, Writer, Mother, Dreamer. Editor of Luminarium, an online library for English Literature of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

Thursday, March 08, 2007

The World of Brian Froud

I just read a post by SzélsőFa who has posted more fabulous images on the Pálvölgyi caves in Hungary. The middle image in particular gave me a Jungian tug of the Collective Subconscious — these were dream visions I "remembered," if you know what I mean. The more I gazed at them, I realized the pictures reminded me of something else, of more recent memory.

Do you remember the film "Dark Crystal" (1982)?  Jim Henson, of The Muppets fame, hired the British fantasy artist Brian Froud to do the art direction and conceptual design for the film; his wife Wendy, a sculptor and puppet maker, created the physical representations of the characters. They further teamed up with Henson on The Labyrinth (1986).  It was in the news last year, that a sequel, "The Power of the Dark Crystal," is forthcoming, with a scheduled release of 2008.



The Book of Habidabab site has more images from the film. For more art by Brian and Wendy Froud, who have focused their work on Faeries and Goblins of late, visit The World of Froud.
 

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger SzélsőFa said...

I've never heard of 'the Dark Crystal'. Neither did I of Brian and Wendy Froud. The drawing is brilliant!
Did I understand well that the evil characters in The Dark Crystal worship the Sun?

March 09, 2007 7:31 AM  
Blogger Anniina said...

No, the evil characters do not worship the sun - one could say they worship themselves. When the crystal was sundered, a prophecy was made that when the three suns were in conjunction, a gelfling would heal the crystal, thus ending the evil Skeksies' power. So the astrological conjoining of the three suns into one is a fearsome event for the evil guys, which is why they've tried to kill all gelflings - to stop the prophecy from coming true and thus ending their evil reign.

March 10, 2007 4:38 AM  
Blogger SzélsőFa said...

allright, thank you!

March 10, 2007 5:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home