My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, TX, United States

Scholar, Writer, Mother, Dreamer. Editor of Luminarium, an online library for English Literature of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

Friday, April 20, 2007

Breakfast at the Museum

"See what I mean, how nothing bad could happen to you
in a place like this?"     —Breakfast at Tiffany's

My Holly Golightly place is an art museum, almost any art museum. Everywhere you look, creative beauty and genius overwhelm your senses, wrapping you in the cocoon of a world somehow better than the one outside. My favorite is the Uffizi in Florence; there, I feel strangely... home. The Vatican Museums are a close second, except they let too many people in at once.

I have no point behind this post really, except I was feeling emotionally vulnerable today, so I picked out my three favorite sculptures at the Vatican. When I lived in Rome, I'd go there very early in the morning, to beat the crowds. My scanner isn't great, and no photo ever captures the feeling of standing within touching distance, but maybe a little glimpse of their beauty will translate.

Here is my virtual "Breakfast at Musei Vaticani":


 
Photos ©A. Jokinen.
 

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Mark A. said...

Ahh, to be in Florence. If we had the money we'd move there. To walk in the Boboli gardens and wander through the Uffizi. Savoring gelato while perusing the shops on the Ponte Vecchio.

...shit...I have to go to work tomorrow. Such is life.

April 20, 2007 2:15 AM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Yeah, me too, on both. *sigh*

April 20, 2007 3:18 AM  
Blogger SzélsőFa said...

I imagine being very early in a museum has a special feeling...I wish I could live that through like right now....
Thanks for the feeling!

April 20, 2007 4:46 AM  
Blogger Stefanie said...

I never thought of it that way (that art museums are my "Holly Golightly place"), but I completely relate to that.

Also, I LOVED the Uffizi. :-)

April 20, 2007 10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home