My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, TX, United States

Scholar, Writer, Mother, Dreamer. Editor of Luminarium, an online library for English Literature of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Of Mice and Women: The Tail Continues

Most of you probably don't remember my post Of Mice and Women: a Tail with a Happy Ending, so let me do a brief recap of the events so far.

A year and a half ago, I discovered I had a mouse. Turns out, mice. I tried every humane, no-kill trap out there, and nothing worked. Super Mouse eluded me over and over again, until I discovered "The Smart Mouse Trap."


The story had a happy ending in that I caught Master Mouse and his brothers and sisters, released them all in a field a few miles away, and have had no sign of little "meesies."

That is, until a few nights ago when I stopped cold by my basement door. A mouse. I stared at him, he stared at me. Bungler that I am, I had broken my earlier "Smart Mouse Trap" in an unfortunately clumsy incident.

So, I called Abundant Earth and ordered 2 traps for $18.95. They arrived today and I set them a few hours ago.

Just now I checked, I have caught one. He is adorable, like the little things in "Mrs. Brisby and the Secret of NIMH." I'm going to take him to the field now, and wait to see if he has more family coming to visit. They can all relocate to said field, so we don't have little Fievel separated from his Poppa.

I could kiss the folks at Seabright Labs for creating this trap. It works. The mice are not harmed. They're just trying to eke out an existence, they don't deserve someone a billion times bigger than them being cruel and lethal to them. This way he can have a happy life elsewhere, and I can have a mouse-free house.

THE END.
 

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Mark A. said...

I applaud the higher nature in you for not killing. I, however, am apparently still a lower-life form, because I say death to all rodents.

We had one in our apartment several months ago. The damn thing should have paid rent, because he was nearly as big as Ellie. No joke, the thing was a big as a large cat, and it had knocked a hole in the wall behind our fridge big enough for a puma to walk through.

We had the largest rat trap you can buy and it was still just tripping it and stealing the bait. So I, one night in a fit of rage, rebaited the trap, unsheathed one the katanas, and perched ever so silently on the counter directly above the hole in the wall. Leigh thought I was crazy, but I was gonna be dammed if a stupid rodent was going to beat me.

I didn't get him, but I'd like to think that the cold steal that came plunging down at his head and removed some fur from his stinky little noggin, made him think twice about coming back to my apartment.

And no, I have not sought psychiatric help, nor do I have any intention of doing so.

April 30, 2007 10:11 AM  
Blogger SzélsőFa said...

Good for the mouse and for you as well!
We still have a mouse or some mouses in the storage room, though.
We'll have to hurry up with the roof, I'm afraid:)

April 30, 2007 3:12 PM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Mark - I'm speechless.

SF - thanks :)

Katja asked how this mouse got in the house, and the answer is simple. The mouse is very tiny, and apparently these critters can squeeze through an opening the size of a nickel. Somewhere (haven't yet found where, am likely to never know) there is an opening big enough. My house backs into an open field, so field mice are plentiful. No further mouse sightings after I relocated this guy; maybe he was a loner.

May 01, 2007 1:19 AM  
Blogger Mophia said...

i'm all for non-violence unless they are a member of the Conflux...

May 01, 2007 11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home