My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, TX, United States

Scholar, Writer, Mother, Dreamer. Editor of Luminarium, an online library for English Literature of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Doggie Pictures, by Popular Demand

The crowd clamored, and they must be requited. Here are
Boo (Wilbur) and Noo (Ariel). Boo is a pure Wheaten Terrier boy, 5; Noo is a half-n-half Wire Fox Terrier/Poodle girl, 13. As you know, they are the loves of my life.

I'm allergic to dogs, as is my mom, and growing up I never thought I would ever have a dog. But I always kept hoping. Finally one day the doctor told me there were dogs that had hair instead of fur, whose allergens would be so low as to be negligible. I looked for "Any-well" for 9 months, scouring every pet store and pound, and when I saw her, I knew. Before anyone asks, "No, she was not named after Disney's Little Mermaid." She was named after the sprite Ariel in Shakespeare's The Tempest. She's very smart, willful, and bossy, and a total lovebug. I love her fiercely. It's hard to get a good picture of her, because she's a ham and loves to come up close to the lens.



Boo, on the other hand, was a surprise. I had a horrible nightmare one night, in which a little dog needed me, urgently. In the dream the dog was a poodle. Vik and I went to all the local SPCAs but none of them had a needy poodle. In the pet store near one of the SPCAs, there was Wilbur. He was all skin and bones, and his hind legs had atrophied from being in a cage for so long. But he was full of bounce and sunshine, saying "take me, take me." The vet was so angry with Boo's previous 'caretakers', as were we. Boo's legs are fine now, and he's all muscle, but his nose and paws are a little big, since he never grew to be as big as he would have, had he not suffered from neglect. For Boo-Boo life, and everyone in it, is wonderful. He's a big lug, loves to wear bandannas and bounce around the yard like Tigger.


 

Labels: , ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Mophia said...

they are cute. and nice hardwood floor too! `.^

May 10, 2007 12:24 AM  
Blogger SzélsőFa said...

Thanks for the pictures!

I declare that it never, ever occurred to me that you, especially you would name a dog after some Disney character. I had Shakespeare's tempest in my mind when I first heard about the name of your dog. And well, I hesitated a bit about the dog being named after a certain brand of detergent, but knowing you, I rejected this stupid idea and thought it was the spirit of good old Sh. you named a dog after.

Both dogs are really cute and what a dream you had. We all know that you're good at precognition, don't we? remember the test?

And another nice-looking carpet on the floor. Is it old?

May 10, 2007 4:48 AM  
Blogger LadyMin said...

Adorable, both of them. Funny that you dreamed of your dog needing you to save him, but alas, I don't doubt it for a second. I'm glad he's found you.
People who abuse and maltreat animals are as bad as those I wrote about who abuse kids. Sometimes the sorrow of all the tortured creatures, humans or not, seems to strangle me.

May 10, 2007 6:29 AM  
Blogger Mark A. said...

You can tell Boo that if his mommy ever makes it down to Tejas there's a little Beagle, that's very cute by the way, who would love to meet him.

My mother always says that she hopes there's a special place in Hell reserved for people that mistreat animals. I normally don't like to hope for the existence of Hell, but in the case of folks who abuse animals I make an exception.

May 11, 2007 11:24 AM  
Blogger Mophia said...

i hope mosquitos don't count... I wage a species cleansing war against them... and flies too, to a lesser extent.

May 11, 2007 12:02 PM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Mophia - thanks. I'm pretty sure insects don't count...

SF - That rug is actually a "fake" oriental. The Belgians make rugs that look very much like the silk rugs from Pakistan, but since they're machine made out of man-made materials they a) wear better, b) cost less. The red one was a genuine one. When I first moved to the US, I was trained and worked as an "oriental rug expert" - I don't know how much of an expert I am, but I love a beautiful carpet still.

Ladymin - I know exactly what you mean. I get that "weltschmerz" too.

Mark - Boo said thank you, he'd love to play with Ellie. And I think your mom is right. If there is a hell, I'm sure there's a whole special place there for the soulless demons.

May 11, 2007 12:42 PM  
Blogger SzélsőFa said...

You know, you're not gonna believe that but I had a feeling that I'd rather ask instead of praising.
It still looks great, though.
A 'rug expert' - sounds interesting!

May 11, 2007 12:49 PM  
Blogger Katja said...

http://katja99.blogspot.com/2006/12/boo-looks-like-somebody-is-holding.html

There's Boo, too :)

My boss hasn't confirmed my holiday, but I've been checking the flights today. I won't take the BA flights (=untolerable 6 hour wait in Heathrow, no thanks !!!). I found cheap fare with Virgin Atlantic, but the flight arrives to Newark at midnight. Will you take your pumpkin carriage and pick me up from EWR ?

brgds, Tuhkimo

May 11, 2007 2:22 PM  
Blogger Anniina said...

OMG Totally! Midnight's cool - there's a 24hr Starbucks on the way home :P

May 11, 2007 3:28 PM  
Blogger SzélsőFa said...

Have a happy reunion whatever to you :))

May 11, 2007 3:36 PM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Thanks SF - it won't be until August tho :)

May 11, 2007 7:48 PM  
Blogger Katja said...

GOOOOD ! I want my "Glande Ratte". Plus I do not have to wake in the middle of the night to catch the first BA flight to London; I can take the 4 pm flight to LHR. And I get to fly with a new airline :) Are we going to Atlanta in August ? Or Vegas ? I think we should conquer a new city.

May 12, 2007 2:16 AM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Vegas and Atlanta will both be BLOODY HOT in August, but I'm willing to go. How about Seattle? Probably the only month it won't rain there :P

May 12, 2007 5:12 AM  
Blogger Mophia said...

how bout some random city in wisconsin! ~.^

May 12, 2007 4:41 PM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Hehehe, I just KNEW you were gonna say that ^^

May 12, 2007 6:40 PM  
Blogger Katja said...

Dude, check this out: http://www.high.org/experience/exhibitions/exhib_content.aspx?id1=2402#Details

There is going to be an exhibition of Annie's photograph's until September 9th (good day to finish the exhibition *hehhee*).

Plus there is an exhibition from Louvre's masterpieces untill September 2nd.

Are we there yet ????

May 14, 2007 10:33 AM  
Blogger Anniina said...

OK. So it's Atlanta, panda bears, and Annie Leibovitz. Cool, I can deal! We need to see about cheap flights.

May 14, 2007 10:54 PM  
Blogger Katja said...

I add: Coca-Cola, Gone with the Wind and civil rights, ok ? You can't say, that I do not take travelling seriously :) And I promise to drink water ALL the time and complain only once a day, that it is too warm for Finns :)

May 15, 2007 12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home