My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, TX, United States

Scholar, Writer, Mother, Dreamer. Editor of Luminarium, an online library for English Literature of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Urban Dictionary: Outslang Yourself

*Mom, don't read this one - using foul language*

For those of us who are not 15, extremely cutting-edge, and living in a large American city, current urban slang holds many question marks.  The latest word to have baffled the takers of the Rum and Monkey "How Compatible Are You" -test was the word "unfuckwitted."  Well, a fuckwit is someone who is equal parts a fuckhead and a half-wit. A famous person comes to mind, but I don't need to tell you who, do I?   So it follows that someone who is unfuckwitted, is neither of those things. A great place to look up baffling slang words is

The Urban Dictionary

Since I am "old and grey and full of sleep," to quote Yeats, and none too cool to boot, I find myself referencing it quite a bit, to understand what the hell the younger, cooler peeps are saying....
 

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Mark A. said...

Whenever I have to look something up on the Urban Dictionary I get the same feeling in my stomach that I have when I hear Van Halen songs on a classic rock station.

May 16, 2007 1:27 AM  
Blogger Anniina said...

Heheh, yeah. I know. That's the feeling I get when someone calls me "ma'am." Even when it's done out of Southern or Southwestern politeness, I want to run screaming for the hills. At some point, I think, I got old.

May 16, 2007 2:59 AM  
Blogger SzélsőFa said...

I like being called 'ma'am' - well, not exactly, but you know, the hungarian equivalent of it.
I think it's another step in getting older that you're not feeling old and you're muscles are toned and all, but your dignity is higher and you don't feel like being called 'hey you' or something like that. It feels justified to be called 'madam'. well, at least at the good old age of mine...
And I often use the Urban Dictionary myself, too!
To be honest, I had some serious difficulties accepting fuckhead in the first place for this compound noun is such a nonsene to me.... We have the equivalent of dickhead in Hung., but not to fuckhead.

May 16, 2007 3:37 AM  
Blogger Stefanie said...

I need to consult Urban Dictionary at least three times a month. I'm out of it, too, obviously.

Fuckwit I've heard before. (Bridget Jones was fond of the term.) Unfuckwitted is new to me, however.

May 16, 2007 9:58 AM  
Blogger Jarod said...

I admit I say "ma'am" all the time, having lived in North Carolina for 17 years. I got in trouble recently over it by a younger woman who objected.

I understand - outside of the cultural reference of the South it doesn't have the same meaning. In the South, when we say "Ma'am", we are saying "I politely respect you" regardless of age. But up here it more geared toward age (?)

May 16, 2007 1:29 PM  
Blogger Anniina said...

SF - you're more at peace with aging than I am... maybe I'll get to that point too :)

Stefanie - Yeah, when I got that result, my first thought was the early scene of Bridget Jones right before Hugh Grant's char is introduced... love that litany of who she is not going to date :P

Jarod - True. I tend to not harp on folks I know were brought up to say ma'am (southerners and southwesterners), even though it makes me want to jump out of my skin... When some Yankee nitwit with a pimply forehead calls me mam I just want to box his ears and ask him if I look like his Aunt Irma :P

May 16, 2007 2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home